How to NOT include full directory paths from zipped directories

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM
thank you very much for this really easy to use and efficient library!

While using it with directories I get some surprising results: the parent directories (ie the beginning of the directory path) are also included in the zip file.
I use DotNet Zip Library 1.5 and .Net 3.0; on XP SP2

I have the following directory structure:
contains: file test01.txt; test02.txt and a sub directory named RepSubDir; which also has some files in it

To test the library, I put the .dll file and Zipit.exe in c:\temp directory.

In the command line, I call:
zipit.exe "c:\temp\RepToZip"
This should zip only the RepToZip dir and its content.

What I get when I unzip it in c:\temp is another "temp" folder containing the RepToZip directory.

Is there a way not to get it, but to get the RepToZip and its content instead?

Thank you very much
Aug 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM

YES, it is possible to not include the full directory path in zipped archives created by DotNetZip.

To do this, you need to use the overload of Add{File,Directory,Item} that specifies a root directory for the added item. 

For your scenario, you might call ZipFile.AddDirectory("C:\temp\RepToZip", ""); 

or you might want ZipFile.AddDirectory("C:\temp\RepToZip", "RepToZip"); 

Consult the documentation for more information.  

There is more to the story, though. I originally created the zipit.exe utility as an example of how to use the library. It is necessarily an incomplete example - the library has capability that is not exposed through that utility. One of the things you cannot do within Zipit.exe is specify the DirectoryPath for the Add{File,Directory,Item} overload method. I can modify the zipit.exe to expose this capability, via a new command-line option, but I haven't done that yet.

As a workaround, one way to get what you want with the existing zipit.exe is to change the current directory before zipping. For example:

cd \temp && zipit.exe c:\foo\ RepToZip && cd \foo 
Aug 6, 2008 at 6:18 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Ok, I just added this capability to the zipit.exe example.

it is now in changeset 21951

This is in v1.6 preview and will be in the v1.6 final release. (Expected before the end of August).

With this change, using the -d argument on the zipit.exe command line, you can now specify the DirectoryPath that is used in the AddFile / AddDirectory / AddItem overload methods.