Preliminary release of v1.9.1.6 is now available

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I haven't released an update of DotNetZip in a loooong time. The reasons for that extended interval are varied and wondrous, but I won't bore you with the full details.  When I did finally get the chance to turn the release crank, my laptop was dead, and I had no Visual Studio.  I got 'round those obstacles, and then confronted the upgrade to VS2010 from 2008, including updating the project structure and moving to a Wix based setup. 

All of that was necessary just to "break even" on the release - just to actually get a new release out.  None of that has any impact on the content or quality of the release - all that effort and I hadn't fixed a single bug or implemented a single new feature!, which is of course the main goal of delivering a new release.

Having done all that, I set about the main goal, and fixed a boatload of bugs.  Tops among them were the bugs relating to handling of split archives, specifically orphaned filestreams that prevented applications from deleting zip files after they had been generated, or even just read/extracted. There were about 5 related bugs filed on that topic.   I fixed lots of other bugs, too.  Along with that I added just a small number of new features.  I also added 57 new tests.  You can get all the details on the release page for v1.9.1.6

I've called this release a "maintenance and bugfix" release, because there are few new features. You'll want to upgrade to this release - sooner rather than later if you use split/spanned archives. 

As of July 17th 2011, it's declared "alpha" status, but... the quality should be quite good.  It passes all tests, and it should be significantly better than v1.9.1.5.  It is not yet complete - I don't have an installer (MSI) for the runtime package; this is the thing that auto-registers the COM objects.  If you don't use COM then you don't care. If you do use COM, you can run regasm yourself, manually, until I release an installer.

Check it out. I'm always interested in feedback.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM

An updated beta of DotNetZip v1.9.1.6 is available. The actual version number in the strong names on the assemblies is 1.9.1.6005 .

Added in this one:

• bzip2 compression - you can use it standalone or within a zip file
  • bzip.exe and gzip.exe tools
  • Silverlight 3 versions of the ZLIB/Deflate/GZIP and BZIP2 libraries
  • Installer for the runtime - it should do COM registration for everything
  • 400+ unit tests for the release

The core codebase is mostly stable; the things I'm working on now are the documentatiom, the installers, and tests.

Please try it and report any bugs you find. 

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Another update to the v1.9.1.6 beta. 

There is now a DotNetZip for Silverlight.  I would love to get some feedback on that.

Nothing else is new since Friday. 

Give it a try.

Going "final" real soon now.