Issue with Self Extracting Archive on Windows XP

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM

Hi All,

I am having problems with extracting of a Self Extracting Archive on windows XP and Server 2003.

Specifically all the files extract correctly but the post extract command line does not.

What I get is

Running command: .\sv.exe

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified  

at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)  

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()  

at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)  

at Ionic.Zip.CommandLineSelfExtractor.Run()<ENTER> to continue...

This occurs on 95% if Windows XP machines and the one Server 2003 machine I have used. It appears to work on both 23 and 64 bit windows 7 without any issues.

To confirm the files are extracted correctly I can execute the command manually.

I am a bit of a loss as to how to investigate things further, does anybody have any ideas?

thanks for your help.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:22 AM

sv.exe - that thing is a file you extract from the zip, is that right?

it could be that it depends on a DLL that is not present on Windows XP, or at least not on the Windows XP box you're trying it on.

What happens if you just unzip the SFX, rather than execute it?  (you can rename the .exe to a .zip, and it should open as a normal zip file).

Once you unzip the sv.exe, can you run it?  If not, then what is the error?  If it is a dependency issue, one way to track it down is to download the free dependency walker tool , and install it on Windows XP.  Start depends.exe, then load the sv.exe file into it.  This will show you what libraries are missing in the dependency chain.

Another possibility is that the sv.exe file is being run before it is "ready" - it could be locked by an anti-virus program running on the Windows XP box. And for some reason the other machines don't have this problem - either they have faster CPUs and disks that don't present the problem, or they have a different anti-virus, or something like that.

I'm just guessing here - you'll have to do some more work to diagnose it.