Error while building DotNetZip

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Hi Cheeso!

I downloaded the source for V1.9 and tried to build the project "Zip Partial DLL" but it fails with the following message.

Error    1    Error reading resource file 'F:\DotNetZip-src-v1.9.1.2\DotNetZip\Zip Partial DLL\Resources\ZippedResources.zip' -- 'The system cannot find the file specified. '    Zip Partial DLL

Warning    2    The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Ilmerge\Ilmerge.exe"  /t:library  /xmldocs /out:"obj\Debug\Ionic.Zip.dll"   " exited with code 1.    F:\DotNetZip-src-v1.9.1.2\DotNetZip\Zip Full DLL\Zip Full DLL.csproj    81    5    Zip Full DLL

I want to change the way the UI of "WinFormsSelfExtractorStub" looks and want to rebuild the project.

Please help me.

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM

You need the ILMerge tool.

There are other things you should be aware of when building it from source.

Check the readme - this is all documented there.

If you just want a different self-extractor, you can write your own without re-building the library from source.

See this message for details:  http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=70602#Post245865

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM

I have installed ILMerge but still I am not able to build the solution. I am using VS2010 Ultimate to build it.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I think i have figured out the problem.

The project "Zip Partial DLL" has a prebuild-event command line as "..\..\PackResources.cmd".

After exploring the contents of PackResources.cmd i found that it uses the tool zipIt.exe to zip the resources and create the file "ZippedResources.zip".

But the path to tool zipIt.exe is "c:\dinoch\bin\zipIt.exe" which is not present on my PC.  So the command file deletes the existing "ZippedResources.zip" but is not able to create it again and so we get a file not found exception while building the project.

By changing the path of the tool zipIt.exe to its proper location i was finally able to build the solution.

Hope this helps anyone else facing the same problem.

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for reporting the problem and solution. I'll get that fixed.