Zipping Folder Issue When SubFolder (Junction) Present

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I've been using this library for a few days now for a proof of concept project.  We are required to ghost image our PC's whenever we load new or updated software packages on our PC's.  We are also required to back up our files daily to a remote server, this latter requirement is the responsibility of each individual developer.  I'm currently using a DOS script I wrote that leverages the WINZIP command line add-on, I thought it might be nice and more flexible to develop a small .NET console-based application to replace the script and need for the command line add-on.

When trying to zip the entire contents of my c:\users\{user id|\documents folder using the ZipLib.UpdateDirectory() method call, I experience an access exception  as the method attempts to process subfolders that are junctions (such as My Music and My Pictures).  Any ideas?  I can work around the problem by iterating through each file and folder and look at the assigned file attributes, but this adds a hugh amount of overhead to the execution speed.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I'm thinking about this...

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:19 PM

My opinion is that junctions are links and can be zipped by referencing the folder explicitely instead of proessing the junction.  If the exception could be resolved to successfully process and zip junctions, then most likely the user community would ask for additional options to include/exclude this type of folder reference as its inclusion while zipping may or may not be desirable.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.