Convert self extracting exe to zip file

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I created a self extracting exe file and a computer that runs the exe does not have Framework 2.0 installed and can not run the exe.  How does one convert the self extracting exe to a normal zip file?

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM

The self-extracting EXE is a normal zip file and should be readable by any ZIP tool.  You may have to rename the file.  For example, if you want to read it in Windows Explorer as a Windows Compressed Folder, then rename the file from "foo.exe" to "foo.zip" and it should just work.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Need help.

Renaming from EXE to ZIP worked but when windows tried to extract a file from the ZIP file, I got the below error message

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:05 PM
To: Colby Norton
Subject: Re: Convert self extracting exe to zip file [DotNetZip:63232]

The self-extracting EXE is a normal zip file and should be readable by any ZIP tool. You may have to rename the file. For example, if you want to read it in Windows Explorer as a Windows Compressed Folder, then rename the file from "foo.exe" to "foo.zip" and it should just work.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotNetZip@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotNetZip@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the 
sender's client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any 
agreement by electronic means.  Nothing contained within either this 
message or any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, 
and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic 
signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National 
Commerce Act (ESIGN), any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions
Act (UETA), or any other statute governing electronic transactions. This
electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are
confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified
above.  This message may contain information that is privileged, 
confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law.  
If you are not the intended recipient, or employee, or agent responsible 
for delivering the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby 
notified that any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or 
storage of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this information in error, please notify Town North 
Bank via e-mail at IntrusionDetection@tnbonline.com and delete the 
electronic transmission, including all attachments from your system.
Jul 22, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The error was that I was using "best compression" and windows could not handle it.  I then used another ZIP tool called WinZIP version 11 and it extracted just perfectly.  What are the compression levels that are compatable with windows? Best Compression is not one of them.  Thanks  Colby

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Your suggestion is the first time I've heard that BestCompression is not compatible with Windows Compressed Folders.  How did you come to that conclusion?  Did you test other compression levels and find that Windows is able to open zip files as Compressed Folders, when those zip files are produced with those other compression levels?  I doubt it, because all compression levels produce a valid DEFLATE format.   If a tool can inflate one deflate stream, it should be able to inflate any valid deflate stream.

I think it is more likely that Windows Compressed Folders is not flexible enough to open a zip file that is also an SFX file.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM

ok I've just run some tests and Windows Compressed Folders can handle any compression level on my machine. 

I did not yet test opening an SFX with Compressed Folders. 

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM

You are correct.  The error message was "Compression: Unknown" when I just renamed the EXE to ZIP file and hence "best compression" did not work.  I then changed the code to create the native ZIP file and all worked.  Again thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I've just tested SFX with Compressed Folders and confirmed that Windows Compressed Folders will not open a DotNetZip SFX file, regardless of compression level.  This is not due to a bug in DotNetZip or in the SFX it produces.  It is due to a lack of flexibility in Windows Compressed Folders.