Can't read downloaded DotNetZip chm files

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:03 PM

When I download DotNetZipLib-1.7.chm, every single topic selected in the left-hand pane, either from the Contents or Index pane, results in a browser error in the right pane.  DotNetZipLib-1.6.chm has the same problem.  I have tried it on two different machines.  On a Vista 64 machine with IE 7, it shows "The address is not valid".  On a Windows XP machine with IE 6, it shows "The page cannot be displayed".

Is there anywhere else I can get the documentation?

-Vance

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

This is a FAQ.  The answer's on the front page, http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com :

I cannot view the CHM documentation. The error is: "This program cannot display the webpage." or, "The address is invalid." Is there an error with the chm file?
No, there is no problem with the CHM file. You have likely encountered a problem with Windows protection of files downloaded from less trusted locations. To view the chm file, within Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, select properties, and Unblock it (button in lower part of properties window).

There's also a note about this in the readme.txt:

In some cases, upon opening the .chm file for DotNetZip, the help items tree loads, but the contents are empty. You may see an error: "This program cannot display the webpage." or, "Address is invalid." If this happens, it's likely that you've encountered a problem with Windows protection of files downloaded from less trusted locations. To work around this, within Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, select properties, and Unblock it, using the button in lower part of properties window.
Jun 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Sorry about that!  Thanks for the quick reply.

-Vance

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM

No worries. I am only putting the full answer so that it will be more easily searchable for the next guy.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:55 PM

One thing you could do to help the next guy, is to put a note or a link on the Downloads page next to where you download the file.  That way everyone should see it.

-Vance