DotNetZip creates temp file?

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM
Does DotNetZip create a temp file on the local drive?

In my backup program I created, I had the zip file that was created saved temporarily in the root of C. Then I would copy the file over to the desination the user selected within the program. During the creation of a large zip file, I was getting out of space errors. I changed the process to save the created zip file directly to where the user chose as its desination. But I am still getting out of space errors. In this last test, I was saving to a mapped drive on a server which had plenty of space. So, I'm assuming some sort of temp file is created by dotnetzip on the local drive..?
Any ideas or workarounds?
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Yes, DotNetZip creates a temp file when saving the zip file.  You can specify the location of it with the TempFileFolder property on the ZipFile class.  You can specify any volume, local or a mapped remote drive.

Try setting TempFileFolder to a folder on the mapped remote drive and see if that solves your issue.  But, be aware than  now the file writes will occur over the network, and this could introduce additional latency into the ZipFile.Save() operation.

The best (!!) solution is to get more space locally! 

ps: Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh?

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Ah, I see that now, looked right past it. I assume the Extract process doesn't use a temp file..?

...and Tampa Bay - die hard; so this offseason purge and rebuild has me cringing - but it was time. (and live in CLT, NC so I get a lot of abuse too!)
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Right, There is temp file created during Extraction.

I'm a Pittsburgh fan myself.  But I agree, it was time for Gruden to go, and for a fresh start.  Maybe it's an opportunity?