Problem with zip files using Mac OS

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:21 PM
When I dynamically create and download a zip file with multiple sub-directories from a PC (running XP Professional) I can open that zip and view all of the folders, sub-folders and files without any issues.  However if I try the same operation from a Mac (tried several different machines) and try to unzip the zip file (using the default OS 10 archiver, StuffIt, etc) I can only see one level of folders - none of the other sub-folders or files will show up.  I have verified that the zip file size is identical in both cases.  I also downloaded the zip file to a Mac then emailed that file to the PC and opened it successfully.  Is there something I should be doing differently in order for the zip files to be viewable on a Mac?
Dec 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM
I found that I was calling the Save() method from within the loop after each time I added a file which turned out to be the cause of my issue.  Once I removed the call to the Save() method and placed it outside the loop (calling Save() only once) everything worked fine.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM
Glad you solved it.  not sure why calling Save() in the loop would change the behavior you described.  It should affect performance, but not the shape of the zip file.
but anyway, I'm glad to hear you resolved it.
Sep 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Seems problem continues...

http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=59740

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM

What is your point?

Why are you referencing another thread on this one?  This one is 10 months old.  ??? 

On the thread you mentioned, Moshe, when I looked at the zip file, it contained ASPNET output.  There was something wrong with your logic.  You said you were going to try something else and get back to me. That's the last I heard from you on that one.

if you have more questions I am happy to to try help you through them.  "Seems problem continues" is not a question.

Here's the thing - there are lots of potential causes of problems in any software application.  Running an ASPNET page that uses DotNetZip to produce a zip file... well there are lots of moving parts in that particular combination.  Normally it works just fine, but sometimes it doesn't.  And when it doesn't work perfectly, there are many many things that could be the cause of the problem.  I do my best to produce a library that is usable, and many people use it successfully.  Nonethless, sometimes it's the library that causes the problem.  It's also possible the problem is in the code you have written.  Or in the configuration of ASPNET.  Or maybe it's a lack of disk space, an incorrectly named file, and so on. 

I am happy to try to work through these things with people, but I cannot magically solve problems.  I can only ask questions and provide suggestions and feedback. 

if you're still having a problem producing a simple ZIP file for a Mac, I'm interested to hear what the problem is.