Multiple extract in-parallel ; multithreaded solution

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    I am trying to extract some zip files, in parallel. The zip files have different names though, they all contains same named files (with different contents). When i try to do that it throws exceptions such as "CRC error: the file being extracted appears to be corrupted.....BadCrcException.....InternalExtract ...line 1369."
   It does not happen, if i only extract one file or extract file one after the other. I try to use "TempFileFolder" but it also start raising some exceptions.
The code is as follows:

zFile = ZipFile.Read(_tempFolder + "\\" + fileName);

zFile.ExtractAll(zDir, true);

Let me know, how can i do that and also give me some performance tip. Thanks,

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM
So you have multiple instances of the ZipFile class that you are using in multiple threads - is that right?
or do you have a single instance of the ZipFile class that you are using in multiple threads ?

Can you give me a simple test case that reproduces the behavior you're experiencing?
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Hi, Multiple threads working with different instances. I did not purely made threads but use to simulate threads i.e. call the function. The function has a local variable ZipFile type and just extracts the zip file. Now, i have thousands of zip file. All the zip files have same set files inside ( the name of the files are same, although contents are different e.g say Address.txt file is present in every zip file having different address).

use this function :

void checkFolder()

string[] fileEntries = Directory.GetFiles(_uploadFolder,"*.zip");

foreach (string fileName in fileEntries)

new WorkItemCallback(this.processZip),Path.GetFileName(fileName));

object processZip(object fileName)

zDir = _tempFolder + "\\" + Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(fileName.ToString());

zFile =

ZipFile.Read(_tempFolder + "\\" + fileName);

Regards, Osman
Nov 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM
ok let me have a look.
Nov 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Let me give you another tip.
                        It works; if you use lock or sync. But it will defeat the purpose of the application. The application will not be truely multi-threaded. The processing would be one after the other.
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM
   I looked at the code and found several "lock". It means that the component is not true multi-threaded. The block will be executed only one at a time. I also noticed that most of the lock are used in the events OnBegin, OnEnd...
I would recommend that there should be some way to turn off all the event generation, it will make it faster and may be also multi-threaded. Thanks,
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:05 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2008 at 6:11 AM
That should lock only the current instance and not the other ones !?
Dec 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM
The ZipFile instance is not multi-thread friendly.  I've updated the doc to state that.  See change set 27058.  workitem 5182:

On the other hand, in your case, using multiple threads working with different instances of ZipFile, is supported and will work, if you have the v1.7.1.6 release or later.

There was a bug in releases prior to that, which initialized a static crc table in the instance constructor. This resulted in the BadCrcException which you originally reported. See work item 6637: