UseUnicode

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Hi

i recently found new property UseUnicode that appeared in 1.6. So i'm sorry for reported bugs linked with 'unicode'. They still exists in standard implementation 'Utf-8' possibly

Also i have feature request. Because russian characters support for non-unicode archives is not a point of spending efforts, to make using unicode by default, without setting property. For .net it's normal to use unicode everywhere. So i propose it will be great if you will make using unicode by default and add method DisableUnicode() for all other cases

Thank's

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM

DrWeb!

I don't know what you mean by this: "So i'm sorry for reported bugs linked with 'unicode'. They still exists in standard implementation 'Utf-8' "  If you could clarify I would appreciate it.

I understand your feature request.  The problem is that while the zip spec supports unicode, zip file utilities and libraries in general are not broadly supporting the unicode standard.  WinRar, for example, appears to use the system default code page, a practice that is not compliant with the zip specification.   I am not sure if WinRar can read zip archives that use UTF-8 encoding.

So I am hesitant to make UTF-8 the standard ("Default") encoding for zip files produced by DotNetZip.
For you, it means one extra line of code in your zip application.  One option may be for me to introduce a new set of constructor overloads that accept an encoding.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.