fulltrust required

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Hello,
I have two sites, I tested your zip dll on my test site which is on fulltrust and .net 2.0 and it worked really well no problem, it is when I started work on the where I am building my site, it is on dotnet 3.5 medium trust, and I cannot get your code to work.

Does your code work in a medium trust enviroment that runs dotnet 3.5. My host is crystaltech.com

Thank you

Kenny
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM
No, I never arranged to get the library to work on partial trust.
It's an open request.

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM
OK, I updated the library, v1.6, to allow partial trust ("Medium" for ASP.NET hosts). 
Try it out, let me know if it works for you.
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:01 AM
Thanks Cheeso,
I will get back to you when I test it, I am an asp developer, I had hired a dotnet developer from Turkey the other day, we spent a few hours trying to get your other script to work, all in all I am trying to get hold of the chap again to give me a hand as I know nothing of asp.net.
I will keep you informed.
Cheers
Kenny

Sent: 02 August 2008 06:40
To: kenny@theelbow.com
Subject: Re: fulltrust required [DotNetZip:32746]

OK, I updated the library, v1.6, to allow partial trust ("Medium" for ASP.NET hosts).
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008 at 3:12 AM
great!  I am very interested to hear how it works out for you.
Sep 12, 2008 at 7:35 AM
Hello

I would just like to add that I am using this library with Sharepoint 2007, and it works under wss_minimal trust.
Just in case anyone wonders.

Used SharpZipLib before this, but I'm glad to see that this API has been made so much easier to use.

In particular I have an aspx page that shows images from a SharePoint Image Library. It gets all the metadata from MS CRM using a Web Service. I then needed to be able to pick some images using checkboxes and zip them. Quite simple, but it just didn't feel simple using the other Lib :-)

With this module I got it going with memorystream and download through browser.

Best Regards,
Thomas Lund
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Sweet!  Glad to hear it is working out for you Thomas.
Why is SharpZipLib so complicated?

I don't know what it is that makes DotNetZip so much easier. Lots of people have said that.
I didn't look at SharpZipLib; actually I never even used that library.
I just designed a zip library according to what made sense to me.

Anyway I'm glad it works for you.

Don't forget, DotNetzip is donationware.  If you find DotNetZip useful, consider donating.
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:36 AM
Cheeso Good Morning,

I am not as bright as you guys, I have my asp pages, they work, meaning I can upload 4 images at once, they are reduced and watermarked. I still retain the orignals which I need zipped. The zip file name is called from the database.

I need help in doing the zip part and was wondering would it be rude to ask your hourly rate. Thats me hoping you do do this sometimes.

I am working on a personal project. I have tried many things on this and cannot get the zip to work.
I do have logmein and can invite yuo to my pc to show what is what etc.

Regards

Kenny

Sent: 02 August 2008 06:40

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Not me, I don't work hourly, but any .NET developer will be able to do this.

"cannot get the zip to work."  What did you try?  Can you show me the failure?
Also this may be worthy of a new discussion thread. It seems to have nothing to do with fulltrust.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Cheeso Thanks for the reply,
I didnt even try as I dont know where to start, I did have some one helping me from Turkey , (that is when We identified that my server was medium trust) but they are away on holidays at present. I can do little coding in asp and dreamweaver other then that I had a look at your code and its above me.

It would be great if your code was made into a dreamweaver extension.

I will look for a dotnet developer.

Cheers
Kenny

Sent: 17 September 2008 14:47

Not me, I don't work hourly, but any .NET developer will be able to do this.

"cannot get the zip to work." What did you try? Can you show me the failure?
Also this may be worthy of a new discussion thread. It seems to have nothing to do with fulltrust.

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM
sorry can't be of more help. maybe a fresh post on this site, maybe someone wants to do the job.
Oct 7, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Hi

I have tried your v1.6 library, and it works fine on local machine.  When I load it onto my web host, which has "medium trust", I get this error: -

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
   System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
   System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59
   System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +684
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode) +64
   Ionic.Utils.Zip.ZipFile.get_WriteStream() +199
   Ionic.Utils.Zip.ZipFile.Save() +91
   Admin_DownloadPictures.IonicZip(String strZipFileName, String sourcepath, String[] strFileNames) +179
   Admin_DownloadPictures........

(I can write to disk from elsewhere within the application. I am using VS2008, framework 3.5)

I appreciate that this has more to do with my lack of understanding of the "AllowPartiallyTrustedCallersAttribute", but any help would be appreciated, in particular, is there anything else I need to add to my application, to solve this permission issue.

thanks

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:22 AM

You are using the library in a web app, yes?

Did you set the TempFileFolder property on the ZipFile instance?  You should set it to a directory that is writeable  by the IUSR account (or whatever account ASP.NET is running under).

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:40 AM
Many thanks.  This now works.  I have spent hours (and some money) trying to get a zip application to work in a web app on a remote host in medium trust.  Your app does it!
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:10 PM
Glad I could help!

ps: Did you know that DotNetZip is DonationWare? 
http://cheeso.members.winisp.net/DotNetZipDonate.aspx
Oct 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM
thnx alot for updating it
i've made a donation just now.. it's not so much.. but it's the best that i can :-\
See the domain of my mother's email, it's not a concidence of my nickname.

Actually i'm still using your library for www.sims2max.com, on the administration page i can upload files that are zipped by the server, that's pretty cool :)
thnx alot again !
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 3:27 AM
Glad it is working for you.  Thank you for the donation!
every little bit helps.
if every user of the library donated like you did, the Boys & Girls club would get a really really big check!
Oct 10, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Glad to help :)
cheers.
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Cheeso [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Inviato: venerdì 10 ottobre 2008 5.28
A: max@max3d.it
Oggetto: Re: fulltrust required [DotNetZip:32746]

Glad it is working for you. Thank you for the donation!
every little bit helps.
if every user of the library donated like you did, the Boys & Girls club would get a really really big check!