Beginner's question

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I downloaded everything. I put Ionic.Zip.dll, Ionic.Zip.pdb & Ionic.Zip.xml in the "bin" folder of my Visual Studio solution.  The "getting started" page didn't tell me if/where to put one of the "exe" files but I assume I need that too, so that is first question.

I also imported "CreateZip.cs"  and "ReadZip.cs" to my App_Code folder.  Now...all my experience with classes in the App_code folder is that they have to be called from the aspx.cs file which is where my main work is.  I cannot find any example of how to call/execute one of your classes. Naturally I tried calling it the way I call other classes in my library by using the name of the Public Class but it is not recognized.  I use C# BTW.  Thanks for any help.  

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:44 AM

you don't need CreateZip.cs and ReadZip.cs in your App_Code folder.   That is example code. It is intended to provide an example that you can VIEW, so you understand how to use the library. 

You don't need the .exe files in the bin folder.  If you are writing an application that uses DotNetZip, then you need the DLL.  If you plan to debug the app and view code in the Ionic namespace, then you need the PDB file, in the same dir as the .DLL file.  If you do not plan to debug DotNetZip (most people don't) then you do not need the PDB file. The XML file is the VS intellisense documentation.  You don't need that in the bin directory either. Search elsewhere for info on intellisense files.

Regarding use of the DLL in an ASPNET app or project, see this link. It provides the basics for using ANY dll in an ASPNET app.

You wrote:  I cannot find any example of how to call/execute one of your classes.  That is what the CreateZip.cs and ReadZip.cs files are for.  There are many other examples as well. Check the documentation links on dotnetzip.codeplex.com.  In the source distribution of DotNetZip, there is a complete, working C# ASP.NET sample that shows how to use DotNetZip from ASP.NET.

good luck

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Thanks. What had me confused was the fact that all your example are named like classes. In my world I'd see "CreateZip.aspx and CreateZip.aspx.cs" as the main program and "CreateZip.cs" as a class that was called from CreateZip.cs. So it was just the naming convention that threw me off. Now I see where I can insert the "meat" from your program into my aspx.cs file and make this work. Also all the instructions/examples heavily emphasized the "using (ZipFile zip = new ZipFile())" but not "using Ionic.Zip" that goes at the top. I kept putting "using (Zipfile zip = new ZipFile())" in my program and kept getting red underlines. You can fuss at me that these things were there or I should have seen them but I'm telling you from a beginners standpoint the key things that are confusing. thank you.
Janis Baldwin, IT
Aging Aircraft Consulting, LLC
(478) 923-8786
(478) 714-9121

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Cheeso <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

you don't need CreateZip.cs and ReadZip.cs in your App_Code folder. That is example code. It is intended to provide an example that you can VIEW, so you understand how to use the library.

You don't need the .exe files in the bin folder. If you are writing an application that uses DotNetZip, then you need the DLL. If you plan to debug the app and view code in the Ionic namespace, then you need the PDB file, in the same dir as the .DLL file. If you do not plan to debug DotNetZip (most people don't) then you do not need the PDB file. The XML file is the VS intellisense documentation. You don't need that in the bin directory either. Search elsewhere for info on intellisense files.

Regarding use of the DLL in an ASPNET app or project, see this link. It provides the basics for using ANY dll in an ASPNET app.

You wrote: I cannot find any example of how to call/execute one of your classes. That is what the CreateZip.cs and ReadZip.cs files are for. There are many other examples as well. Check the documentation links on dotnetzip.codeplex.com. In the source distribution of DotNetZip, there is a complete, working C# ASP.NET sample that shows how to use DotNetZip from ASP.NET.

good luck

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotNetZip@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotNetZip@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com