Versions, Copyrights & Directories not expanded on CF

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Hi

I'm looking at some rather old version of Ionic Zip source code - about 2006 I think - that is included in an app of ours.  There is a bug where the zip files are not expanded into subdirectories correctly (if at all).  

I thought the simplest thing would be to update our code to the latest version but the lastest version of the code is a beast compared to the few files we use.  We have modified the code slightly so that standard unzipping tools like windows explorer wont open the files.  

So, to the point.  I notice that the source we have is copyright Microsoft and the latest version here is not.  I'm not worried by this but I was interested to know the history of this.

More importantly, does the latest version have any issues with unzipping to folders?  I'm sure it doesnt, but I have to ask :)  And can we use the source in our own product?

Cheers

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that directories are not expanding on the CF version.  Desktop is ok.

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yeah - I don't know of any problems in the CF version of the library regarding unpacking to directories.  I've tested this and it works for me.

The code has been under more or less continual change since 2006. At this point it may be easier for you to add the "directory unpacking" to yoru modified code, than to take the new code and re-fit it to your requirements.

You didn't ask, but... regarding your statement:

>  We have modified the code slightly so that standard unzipping tools like windows explorer wont open the files.

...that seems like an unnecessary complication.  But I guess you know what you're doing.

About the copyright - I was an employee of Microsoft Corporation at the time I started writing the library in my spare time.  I am no longer an employee of the corporation, and I used no corporate resources to create it.  So I reverted to a simpler copyright, in my name only.  Regarding your questions about using  the source - check the license.  It is MS-PL.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Yes, sorry, after exhaustive testing I couldnt fault it - I was led astray by my boss :)

I was just curious about the origins of the code as it pre-dates my life with my employer.

The altered headers is not exactly a fool-proof encryption technique but it prevents support calls at 4am from nosey IT people :)

Cheers