Multi-Disk Spanning

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:36 AM
Hi Cheeso,

What a gr8 utility you have written, but have you thought about including support for multi-disk spanning? I know that floppy drives are well on the way out but for users who's PC's are not on a network and dont want to archive data to CD this may be a useful feature. rather than raise a 'not enough space on disk exception', or alternatively check that the archive can be created when u call .Save()? (this would also hold true for other media such as USB drives

another small point is that if you specify to backup in a folder that doesnt yet exist, it also bombs. i know its simple to do outside the utility, and i can use a Try..Catch block, but i always take the stance when writing code that i trap as many possible errors before they hit just in case.

GL

Bob
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2008 at 3:24 AM
Edited Apr 23, 2008 at 3:25 AM
Bob,

floppies? seriously?

-Dino

ps: good catch on the Directory-does-not-exist problem. I'll check and throw.
Apr 23, 2008 at 8:05 AM
hi Dino

after thinking about it for a while, nah forget it, its just i have quite a few customers who still back-up from my vb6 software to floppy, but they'll have to upgrade PC's to run my .net version anyway, so i'll just tell em to buy a USB drive for a few quid lol

GL

Bob

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM
Well, multi-disk spanning would actually be usefull. I just recently had the case when i needed to back up directories of 1.2GB to 16.3GB  on files that where less than 4GB (-2B, guess why :-).

And after searching for a decent lib with, multispanning, multiple files per archive etc I just went for the easy solution and scripted calls for an commandline based packer.

Oh, almost forgot to give the proper creds for a (thou the lack of multispanning :) great lib.
I just had to try it out a few ones at home after work and this was by far my favorite one.