Licensing and redistribution question

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM
I'm creating a developers tool which I'd like to distribute as a freeware application (only binary, not source code). I'd like to reference this library to add zip features to my application and I should need to distribute DotNet Zip library together with my executable. Can I do this regarding the MS Public License this library is subject to? Do I have to release my application under MS Public License too or may I write a license of my own? What kind of credits do I have to write and show inside my application?

Thanks in advance,
Alessandro Del Sole
Apr 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but, my reading of the MS Public License is that, Section 2 grants you the right to use the DotNetZip library in any way you want. You can redistribute, you can derive works, you can embed it in stuff you distribute.

Section 3 says you need to reproduce the copyright on any derivative work.

There is no stipulation in the MS-PL, on what license you must use on your own intellectual property.

But like I said, I am not a lawyer.
Sep 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I was also wondering about how to use it accordingly. I have placed the license.txt as a resource in the project and so it will be added when distributing. I'm questioning though whether this is enough. For instance, do I need to say in a form that the underlying technology is under this MS Public License? Do I need to add it anywhere else when selling the product?

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Sounds like you need the advice of an intellectual property attorney.  That's not me. 

Good luck.