Adding entries without rewriting?

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I'm using the DotNetZip Library to create large (>2GB) zip files.  The assembly process has been perfect -- after some trial and error and reading through documentation and samples, I have it building the archives very quickly.

The next thing I need to do is to add additional entries to the file after the fact... very small entries relative to the size of the file.  Maybe 20KB total added to a 2GB file.  I've implemented this function, and it appears that DotNetZip is writing out a brand new archive when I call Save(), which is a slow process on a 2GB file.

Does this library support appending entries without rewriting the full file?

Overall, I'm super happy with this library -- very well written and documented; very intuitive to use.

Thanks!

Adam

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM

No - DotNetZip will always write the full zip out when modifying a zip file.

It does not decompress and recompress existing entries, but it does read and write them.

I've had people ask about this feature before, and I've considered it for a future version of the library.  It might be something like calling a .Modify() method instead of Save().  But I haven't committed to developing that feature and have no guess on when it would be available, if I did commit to building it.

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.