Winzip Encoding Interop Issue with § inside file name(s)

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I really lke the Dot Net Zip library: it performs great and has a lot of features, making it a very good utility to be used inside .NET solutions, but also as command line(windows) utility.

I have tested it with different alphabet chars (German, France, Eastern Europea, etc..) and it handles them fine, but there are severe interop. issues with WinZip (or any other utility) both compression and extracting, when file names contain the "§" char. I have also tested some other zip utilities and it seems that this is a generalized issue.

Thanks, Adrian.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I would love to make the tools and library as useful as possible.

I understand you have observed interop problems. If you could identify exactly what those problems are, I could look into it.  You'll need to be specific though. Describe the steps you follow to reproduce the problem, and describe, specifically, the problem you observe.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Consider this test:  use a word doc: "Test§.docx" zip it with Dot Net Zip and unzip it with a different archiver. (notice the use of '§' char inside the filename)

I have tested extracting the archive with the:

• WinZip - not working
  • 7 Zip - not working
  • Windows Explorer (Win7 x64) - working

"Working" | "Not Working" means whether the file keeps the original name after extraction.

Is there any workaround to make this work, meaning for the extraction with different utilities to preserve the original file name (the above example)?