Framework requirement

May 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Hi Cheeso.

I know that the self-extractors require .NET 2.0 on the computer doing the extraction but is there any way using which i could warn the user that they need .NET 2.0 to run the SFX after clicking it.

Thanks.

Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I believe Windows provides that warning if it does not find .NET 2.0 installed on the machine, when running a .NET 2.0 exe.

You'll have to test the SFX EXE yourself to be sure.

May 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Yes windows does provide a message like "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application" but this message does not indicate that framework is not present and hence the executable failed.

I was wondering if we could provide a more meaningful message to the user and direct him to install the framework if possible.

Can we do something to achieve this.

Thanks.

Coordinator
May 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I don't know what is to be done about it.  but I think it is not a DotNetZip issue.  It seems to be a .NET Framework issue. 

What is the behavior of an arbitrary .NET Framework EXE, when run on a machine that does not have .NET installed?

May 5, 2010 at 7:19 AM

We get the same message while executing any other .NET EXE as well.

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Well ok, then.  It sounds like a .NET issue.  Not a DotNetZip issue.  I'll let you figure out the solution that that.